The Levitt AMP [Your City] Grant Awards is an exciting matching grant program made possible by the Mortimer & Mimi Levitt Foundation, a national creative placemaking funder dedicated to strengthening the social fabric of America through the power of free, live music. With Levitt AMP, the joy of free, live music is bringing communities together in small and mid-sized towns and cities across the country.
While Levitt’s program of permanent outdoor music venues, each presenting 50+ free concerts annually, is tailored to large metro areas with populations of over 400,000 (due to financial sustainability and audience development considerations), the Levitt AMP [Your City] Grant Awards are specifically designed to meet the needs and capacity of small to mid-sized towns and cities.
Since 2015, the Foundation has awarded $1 million total to 25 communities across America through the Levitt AMP grant program.
How Levitt AMP Works
- Grants will be awarded to up to 15 U.S.-based nonprofit organizations serving towns and cities with populations of up to 400,000.
- Each grantee will receive $25K in matching funds to present the Levitt AMP [Your City] Music Series, a minimum of 10 free outdoor concerts presented over 10 to 12 consecutive weeks during 2017.
- Each Levitt AMP Music Series will feature a musically diverse lineup of high caliber entertainment, in keeping with the permanent Levitt venue program.
- To ensure each grantee is positioned for success, grantees will receive a Levitt AMP Toolkit containing valuable resources, such as: sample artist contract; sample press release; hosted page on the Levitt AMP website; eblast and social media templates; list of talent managers and music agents from across the country; and consultation with national staff at the Levitt Foundation.
- Amplify community pride and a city’s unique character
- Enrich lives through the power of free, live Music
- Illustrate the importance of vibrant public Places
Since Levitt AMP is a matching grant program, each applicant must show a minimum dollar for dollar match of $25K from other sources such as foundations, municipalities, businesses, etc. Up to half of the matching requirement may be in-kind, such as donated sound equipment or contributed marketing. The matching grant requirement reflects our overall commitment that Levitt projects be community-driven with local support. To learn more, visit the FAQ.
The most competitive proposals will depend upon a variety of factors, including:
- The characteristics of the public space where the free concert series is to be presented—preference will be given to spaces that are easily accessible to a range of socioeconomic groups.
- A programming philosophy that is inclusive, family-friendly and represents a wide range of music genres, in keeping with the permanent Levitt venue program.
- A proven track record of presenting professional quality concerts or community events, or partnering with an individual or organization that has done so.
An online public voting process in November determined the Top 25 finalists. The Levitt Foundation reviewed the Top 25 proposals in December, and the 15 selected Levitt AMP [Your City] Grant Award winners were announced on January 5, 2017.
2017 Eligibility Criteria
- Applicant must be a U.S.-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
- All proposed Levitt AMP [Your City] Music Series must take place in small to mid-sized towns and cities within the United States and its territories with a population of up to 400,000 people, and may be located within a metropolitan area with a population of no more than 1,000,000. For towns or cities located within a metropolitan area with a population of more than 1,000,000, the town or city must be at least 25 miles from the anchor city of the metropolitan area.
- The public space where the free concerts are to be presented must be outdoors, easily accessible to a wide range of socioeconomic groups, and have a lawn-like setting with no fixed seating.
- If a permanent Levitt venue is located in an applicant’s state or region, the proposed Levitt AMP site must be located a minimum of 50 miles or more from the existing Levitt venue.
- The entire Levitt AMP [Your City] Music Series must be free to the public, open to all ages, and presented over 10 to 12 consecutive weeks, between May 1, 2017 and November 15, 2017.
- Applicant must display a successful track record of presenting professional quality concerts or community events, or be engaged with an individual or organization that has done so.
- Applicant must demonstrate matching funds, dollar for dollar, from other sources.