The Levitt AMP [Your City] Grant Awards is an exciting matching grant program made possible by the Mortimer & Mimi Levitt Foundation, a national creative placemaking funder dedicated to strengthening the social fabric of America through the power of free, live music. With Levitt AMP, the joy of free, live music is bringing communities together in small and mid-sized towns and cities across the country.
While Levitt’s program of permanent outdoor music venues, each presenting 50+ free concerts annually, is tailored to large metro areas with populations of over 400,000 (due to financial sustainability and audience development considerations), the Levitt AMP [Your City] Grant Awards are specifically designed to meet the needs and capacity of small to mid-sized towns and cities.
Since 2015, the Levitt Foundation has awarded $1.4 million total to 29 communities across America through the Levitt AMP grant program.
How Levitt AMP Works
- Grants will be awarded to up to 15 U.S.-based nonprofit organizations serving towns and cities with populations of up to 400,000.
- Each grantee will receive $25K in matching funds to present the Levitt AMP [Your City] Music Series, a minimum of 10 free outdoor concerts presented over 10 to 12 consecutive weeks during 2019.
- Each Levitt AMP Music Series will feature a musically diverse lineup of high caliber entertainment, in keeping with the permanent Levitt venue program.
- To ensure each grantee is positioned for success, grantees will receive a Levitt AMP Toolkit containing valuable resources, such as: sample artist contract; sample press release; hosted page on the Levitt AMP website; eblast and social media templates; list of talent managers and music agents from across the country; sample sponsorship packet; and consultation with national staff at the Levitt Foundation.
Since Levitt AMP is a matching grant program, each applicant must show a minimum dollar for dollar match of $25K from other sources such as foundations, municipalities, businesses, etc.
Up to half of the matching requirement may be in-kind; for example, donated sound equipment or contributed marketing.
The matching grant requirement reflects our overall commitment that Levitt projects be community-driven with local support.
To learn more, visit the FAQS.
The most competitive proposals will depend upon a variety of factors, including:
- The characteristics of the public space where the free concert series is to be presented—preference will be given to spaces that are easily accessible to a range of socioeconomic groups.
- A programming philosophy that is inclusive, family-friendly and represents a wide range of music genres, in keeping with the permanent Levitt venue program.
- Outreach strategies that are inclusive of all members of the community.
- A proven track record of presenting professional quality concerts or community events, or partnering with an individual or organization that has done so.
An online public voting process in November will determine the Top 25 finalists. The Levitt Foundation will review the Top 25 proposals and up to 15 selected winners will be announced on Dec. 18, 2018.
2019 Eligibility Criteria
- Applicant must be a U.S.-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
- All proposed Levitt AMP [Your City] Music Series must take place in small to mid-sized towns and cities within the United States and its territories with a population of up to 400,000 people, and may be located within a metropolitan area with a population of no more than 1,000,000. For towns or cities located within a metropolitan area with a population of more than 1,000,000, the town or city must be at least 25 miles from the anchor city of the metropolitan area.
- The public space where the free concerts are to be presented must be outdoors, easily accessible to a wide range of socioeconomic groups, and have a lawn-like setting with no fixed seating.
- If a permanent Levitt venue is located in an applicant’s state or region, the proposed Levitt AMP site must be located a minimum of 75 miles or more from the existing Levitt venue.
- The entire Levitt AMP [Your City] Music Series must be free to the public, open to all ages, and presented over 10 to 12 consecutive weeks, between May 1, 2019 and October 31, 2019.
- Applicant must display a successful track record of presenting professional quality concerts or community events, or be engaged with an individual or organization that has done so.
- Applicant must demonstrate matching funds, dollar for dollar, from other sources.